Father’s Day is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate your brilliant Dad, and everything he has done to support you over the years. Sending him a Father’s Day card is a great way to do this, but it’s not always easy to know what to write in it. I have written 31 thoughtful and inspiring Father’s Day card messages to make it easier for you. You can copy these messages word-for-word for your own Father’s Day card, or change them as much as you need to, to make the message perfect and special for your own Dad. I have also included examples of messages for father figures, Step Dads, and messages to write if you have a challenging relationship with your Dad. There are also my 5 top tips included below to help make your Father’s Day card super special, and one that he will really treasure. Writing your Father’s Day card should be a breeze after reading this blog, it is so jam-packed with useful info… time to get stuck in!
How to write a thoughtful and inspirational Father’s Day card that he will love: 5 top tips
I know you’re eager to get stuck into the 31 Father’s Day card messages I have written for you, but I thought I would also share my 5 top tips for writing a Father’s Day card. These tips are simple, easy to action, and super effective. They will make writing that Father’s Day card a little less tricky, if it’s something you normally have difficulty with. It’s sometimes hard to know what to say!
Top Tip 1: Wish him a Happy Father’s Day
Sounds simple, but this is a great way to start, and get over the fear of looking at the blank page. Wishing him a Happy Father’s Day is a crucial part of the card, and once that is written, you can add something more personal about your Dad that he will really appreciate.
Top Tip 2: Be true to your relationship
It is really important to stay true to your relationship when writing a Father’s Day card. Whether you are writing this for your Dad, Step Dad, Grandad, or another father figure in your life, and whether you have a strong, close bond with them, or a more strained relationship, just be true to how you feel. If they mean the absolute world to you, tell them! But if, for whatever reason, you have a trickier relationship, just keep it warm and sincere, and let them know they are in your thoughts. You don’t have to pretend your relationship is something it’s not, just because it’s Father’s Day. Social media will no doubt be full of picture-perfect Father’s Day moments, but that is only a tiny snapshot of the true reality. A father/child relationship is complex, and you have to keep it authentic to you, don’t be guided by what you think Father’s Day ‘should’ look like. I have written some messages specifically for those who have a difficult relationship with their Dad, scroll further down and take a look for some more ideas.
Top Tip 3: What are you thankful for?
Practicing gratitude is such a powerful way to bring peace and happiness into your life, and it is an easy way to make a Father’s Day card more meaningful and special too. Write a sentence or two about why he is important to you, and what you are thankful for. Maybe you’re thankful you can call him anytime if there’s an emergency, or maybe he’s a whizz with all the technical stuff and helped you fix your car. Keep it personal, and honest, and it will make the Father’s Day card so special to him.
Top Tip 4: Tell him one of your favourite memories
Sharing memories of special times together is another great way to really make your Father’s Day card personal and meaningful. It could be a memory he has forgotten about, or something he didn’t even realise was special or important to you. But bringing those special memories back to the front of your minds is sure to bring you closer, which is especially important if you can’t actually be together on Father’s Day.
Top Tip 5: Don’t be a ‘From John’
The way you sign a Father’s Day card really makes a difference. Of course you should write your name (or a nickname if that is what your Dad calls you), but rather than just ‘From John’, add an extra special personal touch here, like ‘Love you always’, or similar. Pick something that feels right for you.
These tips have hopefully given you lots of ideas for your Father’s Day card. But if you still need a little more assistance, check out the following 31 Father’s Day card messages that you can copy and paste directly into your own Father’s Day card. Your Dad will never know the message came from a blog, and of course you can always add your own personal twist to it, to make it meaningful and special to him.
What to write in a Father’s Day card
1. Happy Father’s Day to the best Dad in the world! I love you so much.
2. Dad, it’s time to relax! You work so hard, put your feet up. Enjoy today, a chance for you to be taken care of for a change. Happy Father’s Day!
3. Thank you for everything Dad. I will never figure out how you manage to be there to support me day and night while juggling everything else, but I am so grateful. Happy Father’s Day.
4. I don’t know what I’d do without you Dad! Thank you so much for all the support over the years, you are amazing.
5. Dad, you are a true inspiration to me. One of the strongest and most caring people I know. I hope you have a great day today. You deserve it!
6. You’re the best Dad! I hope you have a fantastic day today and remember how much we all love and appreciate you.
7. Happy Father’s Day to the coolest Dad of all time! Thanks for being an absolute legend, I love you.
8. Thank you for always being there for me, for listening, for offering advice, and for being so supportive. You’re amazing. Happy Father’s Day.
What is the best message for Father’s Day?
9. Your love and support is so appreciated every single day, you are the heart of the family and you mean so much to all of us. Happy Father’s Day.
10. You are one in a million Dad, and I love how close we are. Can’t wait to make more memories this year. Happy Father’s Day!
11. I am so grateful to have a Dad as patient and caring as you, Happy Father’s Day!
12. You’re my hero, Dad. You’ve always been such an inspiration and role model to me, and now my kids too. We love you. Happy Father’s Day!
13. You bring so much joy and happiness into our lives Dad, thank you for always reminding us to look on the bright side of life. Happy Father’s Day!
14. Happy Father’s Day to my wonderful Dad, who is also an incredible friend. Thanks for everything. Love you lots.
15. I have the best memories from my childhood, and it’s all thanks to you! Happy Father’s Day to the most amazing Dad.
16. I am so lucky to have you in my life. I’d be lost without your wisdom, advice, and jokes! Love you Dad.
What message do I write to my Step Dad on Father’s Day?
17. I am so lucky to have two wonderful Dad’s in my life. Thank you for being the most inspiring, thoughtful and supportive Step Dad. Happy Father’s Day!
18. I could not ask for a lovelier Step Dad, thank you so much for everything. I hope you have a great day!
19. The role of Step Dad is not an easy one, but you do it so effortlessly, every single day. Thank you for everything. Happy Father’s Day!
20. Happy Father’s Day to my brilliant Step Dad, thank you for everything you do for me.
21. The stereotypes about step-parents are so wrong… you’re amazing! I cherish our relationship so much. Happy Father’s Day.
How do I write a Father’s Day card if I have a challenging relationship with my Dad?
22. I hope you get to enjoy yourself today and do something nice. Happy Father’s Day.
23. You’ll be in my thoughts today, I hope you have a lovely day. Happy Father’s Day.
24. I know we’re not super close, but I will be thinking of you today and hope you have a lovely time. Happy Father’s Day!
25. It’s not always been plain sailing for us, but I hope you have a great day today. Happy Father’s Day.
26. We may not always see eye-to-eye, but I do truly hope you enjoy your day today. Happy Father’s Day.
How do I say Happy Father’s Day to the father-figure in my life?
27. I couldn’t let Father’s Day pass without telling you how much you mean to me, you are just like a Dad to me! Thank you for everything, I love you very much.
28. Happy Father’s Day to one of the strongest and most inspirational men I know. Thank you for helping to shape the person I am today, I am so grateful for everything you’ve done for me.
29. Best honorary Dad in the world! Thank you for always supporting me and loving me as if I was your very own son/daughter. I love you.
30. You may not be my Dad by blood, but I can’t thank you enough for everything you have done for me, you are such a special person. Happy Father’s Day!
31. Sometimes, the family we choose are the ones who really transform our lives and make things brighter.. Thank you so much for all you have done for me. Happy Father’s Day!
In this blog I have shared my 5 top tips for writing a Father’s Day card, 31 thoughtful and inspiring Father’s Day card messages you can use for your own card, as well as links to my range of special and unique Father’s Day card designs - this blog contains everything you need to ensure your Dad receives a truly special card this Father’s Day. I hope you have found this useful. Feel free to share this article with anyone else you think may find it helpful. And if you haven’t yet bought a Father’s Day card, check out my range of special and unique Father’s Day cards, all printed on FSC-certified sustainable card and packaged plastic-free. They are also all blank inside, so you have plenty of space to put your new card-writing skills to use.
If you like my greeting card designs, and are interested in more tips about writing greeting cards for all occasions, do sign up to The Little Creative Gang, my mailing list, where you will be the first to hear about new greeting card designs, tips and advice, as well as the occasional exclusive discount.
Wishing you a joyful and happy Father’s Day,
Love, Jess x